Small Business week started May 2 and continues till May 8th. We all see small businesses in our town and city or may even know a small business owner. Shopping local and small has always been important but the world dealing with a global pandemic in 2020 showed all of us just how important shopping at local or small businesses really is.
QA Graphics is a small business with a global presence. Starting out in 2006 with just 3 employees, growing to now a 14-employee business. Becoming a leader in the industry and expanding into a full-service design firm.
“I think our dedicated staff, both past, and present is what drives this steady growth and support from industries we service,” said Dan McCarty, president of QA Graphics. “It is exciting to have created a successful business that is profitable and self-sustaining, as well as creative and relaxed.”
Originally posted from QA Graphics’ interview with the State Secretary Small Biz Salute: https://www.qagraphics.com/smallbizsalute/
What Is Small Business Week?
Small Business Week is a week meant to highlight the importance of entrepreneurs and small business owners across the United States.
Why Does Small Business Week Take Place?
Small Business Week takes place because small businesses are of vital importance to local economies as well as the economy of the United States. More than half of Americans either own or work for a small business, according to the SBA.
Where Does Small Business Week Happen?
Small Business Week is celebrated nationally and can be celebrated anywhere a small business is found.
When Does Small Business Week Happen?
Since 1963, the first week of May has been designated as NATIONAL SMALL BUSINESS WEEK. This is a time to recognize the critical contributions of entrepreneurs and small business owners.
Facts About Small Businesses:
- There are 30.7 million small business in the USA (SBA, 2019)
- Did you know that the definition of a small business varies across the world?
- USA – The Small Business Administration (SBA) defines a small business as a firm that has fewer than 500 employees.
- European Union – any business that has fewer than 50 employees is considered a small business.
- Australia – companies with fewer than 15 employees are considered small businesses.
- Small businesses create 1.5 million jobs and account for 64% of new jobs created in the US. (Fundera, 2019)
- 55% of people say their biggest motivation for opening their own business is being their own boss (Guidantfinacial, 2019)
- 39% of respondents said that they choose to open their own business is to pursue their own passion.
Covid-19 has taken a hard hit on many small businesses and showed a large spotlight on how important it is to support your local and other small businesses.
- Covid-19 rendered 31% of small businesses in the US currently non-operational (Facebook, 2020)
- With over 70% of US businesses shut down in March 2020 as society went into lockdown due to government or health authority.
Leave a Reply