We all use energy every day. Whether it’s using your computer, cooking dinner, or lighting, heating and cooling your home or business. Here in the U.S. we consume approximately a quarter of the world’s energy resources. Due to CSR, Green initiatives, climate change and cost optimization programs, companies across all sectors are more concerned than ever about energy management, for good reason. Here are 10 energy efficiency facts that will keep you up at night!
1. The amount of energy the U.S. utilizes doubles every 20 years.
2. Light-bulbs generate more heat than actual light. Only 10% of a light-bulb’s energy makes light.
3. The amount of fossil fuel used to manufacture the 285,000,000 computers that will be sold this year is more than the entire state of Iowa consumes in 1 year! (25 million tons to be exact.)
4. An energy smart washing machine can save more water in 1 year than 1 person typically drinks in a whole lifetime!
5. Over 70% of electricity in the U.S. is generated from non-renewable resources.
6. If the energy efficiency of commercial and industrial buildings improved by just 10%, it would equal a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions equal to taking 30 million cars off the road.
7. According to Google, the amount of energy it takes to conduct 100 searches on its site is equal to a 60-watt light bulb burning for 28 minutes.
8. Energy wasters, like inefficient appliances and poor insulation, cost U.S. consumers approximate $300 billion per year, more than the U.S. military budget!
9. The U.S. produces more nuclear-generated electricity than any other country and accounts for nearly 1/3 of the world’s total.
10. By 2030, world energy consumption is expected to increase more than 55%.
Monitoring energy use is key. The more we know about where and why we use energy, the easier it will be to make energy efficiency changes to save money, and improve our economy and environment!
If you want to learn more about how you can monitor your company’s energy use, we’d love to talk with you! Contact us at [email protected].